Total Pageviews

Friday, 1 March 2013

You will do as you're told...

'Oh, just do as you're told'

Said the wife to the husband...

Wait wife? Really? - I hear you cry.

Well certainly in those marriages where the wife walks all over her poor weak husband, who feels demoralized and lacking in confidence every time she does.  Surely though, not in a marriage such as mine, where my man rules the roost and I pride myself on submission.

Well... ummm.... maybe I did let this sentence slip out the other night! oops! the second I did I was horrified.



Picture the scene.

My itchy-handed husband, tall, sometimes scary, though loving, was sat on the bed planning the refurbishment of an old child's bike for our daughter's birthday.

I was stood watching him doing it, wanting to interfere, telling him how to sand it down, how to put on the primer, what lacquer to use.

It isn't my fault really.  I was raised by my father, the DIY God, who rebuilt our childhood homes himself, plumed in the central heating, bathrooms, replaced the roovs and plastered.

When my friends were playing with Barbie dolls, I was stripping paint, spacing tiles and staining wood.

My husband however is....hmmm....how do I put this...more of a thinker, an artist and certainly not a DIY-er.



In all honesty in the past he has struggled to hang a picture.

So when I asked him to help me convert an old wooden bicycle, I understandably had my doubts.

So we were sat in the bedroom and he was questioning all of my decisions of how to convert the bike, despite having little prior experience in DIY.

Without thinking I realised the words, 'Oh would you just do as you're told' came out of my mouth.

He stood there staring and horrified.

I couldn't help myself.  I was so shocked and stunned that I had probably said the worst thing to wind up my husband that I sat there giggling nervously.



RED RAG TO A BULL...

I was over the end of the bed, faster than you can say 'paddle'.

And you know what, the bike was glorious!

Next time I shall keep my trap shut!

 


9 comments:

  1. Love the glasses!
    We are going to renovate our foyer next week. I'm already thinking that it might go wrong. Gonna have to watch my mouth.
    Sometimes I think that I'm my own worse enemy, at least when it comes to spanking.
    Glad the bike turned out. Lucky daughter.
    Bea

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I saw the title of your post I giggled because that a phrase said in our house all the time by H. I couldn't help but lol, when I saw it was you who said it. Sometimes it's just one of those things that try as we might, just won't stay inside our mouths where it should.

    Thanks for the laugh :)

    Callie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. I laughed too, but it only compounded the matter!

      Delete
  3. I can so totally relate to this! My dad fixes everything himself! My husband literally called his dad to help him hang a shelf in our first couple of months of marriage-- and that was after he tried by himself for several hours. I often would much rather just do things myself or tell him how to do it. Bad submissive wife! LOL! ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear. My husband has got better. I think the lesson is for us to let them get on with it!

      Delete
  4. I love the pics! Oh dear, I had the exact same feeling the other day. My husband was kidding around and winding me up and the next thing I muttered "oh shut up" under my breath - oops! Honestly, it was a knee jerk reaction to his wind up.

    Hugs,
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Been there! And then you end up wishing you could rewind time!

      Delete
  5. OH, I so understand!!! This is me and my hubby. I repair everything around here. Changing a lightbulb is about as far as his repairs go. I would have been so the same as you! lol

    ReplyDelete